The Business Science function in Manchester sits as part of a brand new team which amalgamates three previously separate measurement teams; Business Science, Quant research and the Data & Tech team. The aim of bringing together one 3D Measurement department is to give us greater scope when trying to solve client problems with data and analysis. There would be the opportunity for the right candidate to work across all three functions. The Manchester office is responsible for analytics across the client base in the Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham offices.
Objectives of Business Science:
Business Science is MediaCom’s dedicated analytics team. Each member of the team should see themselves as an ‘analytical problem solver’, pulling insight from data at all stages of the consumer’s purchase journey.
The primary focus for Business Science is measuring the effectiveness of our clients’ marketing activity. Through this, the team should identify actionable recommendations to improve future planning, which should be fed into the Comms Planning and Connect teams, as well as directly to clients. The team is very client facing, so building and maintaining strong relationships with clients is key.
Outside of pure effectiveness measurement, there are a number of other analytical services that Business Science can support clients and other MediaCom functions with. It is important in this area that we are constantly identifying the current questions that our clients and colleagues face, to ensure we employ our efforts as the agency’s ‘analytical problem solvers’ in the right areas to really make a difference.
Objective of Role:
A Senior Econometrician is responsible for working across all areas of an analytics project. Taking the lead in terms of managing the data collection, the modelling work and delegating to and coaching team members throughout a project. They will be a key day to day contact with clients. They will also play a large part in the project design and set up and the presenting back of their findings and recommendations.
- Demonstrate sound modelling skills, producing technically strong and intuitive models with minimal input from manager
- Have mastered the efficient use of Excel and EViews – be able to coach junior team members
- Take the lead in day to day management of own projects, both client and internal:
- Set up timescales and deadlines
- Understand and keep focus on project objectives
- Oversee data collection
- Organise key meetings
- Keep project to timeline
- Regularly update own manager
- Delegate work to team
- Make sure all project objectives are met
- Lead presentation writing on own projects, showing focus on:
- Project objectives
- Actionability & insights
- Story of results
- Clear and easy to understand
- Creating a professional look
- Take a major role in a client presentation, showing confidence and understanding of client business and key concerns. Show ability to answer questions on the spot.
- Be able to explain the main function of the each key Business Science tools (Economiser, Comms Tracker, Business Modeller, MediaMax, OAM, 4Cast, MOT and Conjoint) and be able to identify when they should be used/sold into clients.
- Competently use Comms Tracker and be able to teach to juniors
- Demonstrate a strong media knowledge and be able to competently talk to clients about other MediaCom departments’ disciplines, on a basic level
- Play a proactive role in the Business Science Senior team – regularly push forward work on your appointed team responsibility, reporting into a team AD or Director
- Take responsibility for junior team member(s), where applicable, who work closely with you (alongside your Manager/AD)
- Manage their time and workloads
- Mentor team members on a day to day basis
- Identify and organise relevant training
- Ensure they reach their full potential
- Work closely with the wider agency team on your clients’ accounts
- Ensure that the Comms Planning and Response teams get visibility of our findings well in advance of a client debrief, and work with the teams to come to actionable recommendations in your presentations
- Respond to ad hoc requests from both planners and clients.
- Be comfortable in discussing projects without the support of managers
- Knowledge of all internal tools and systems relevant to Business Science
- Commercial awareness
- Strong communication skills and the ability to hold an audience
- Have confidence to manage small-medium scale projects by self, with limited input from manager
- Able where necessary to confidently handle client meetings without line manager present in a manner which meets the client’s expectations
- Be able to form an opinion and answer questions in appropriate circumstances
- Production of good quality, insightful analytics debriefs, backed by sound modelling
- Basic day to day management and training for junior team members
- Strong relationships with wider agency client teams
- Ownership of day to day internal client requests
- Strong relationships with junior level clients
- Wider company awareness
If you would like to apply for this role, please send your CV and a cover letter to Business Science and we will contact you to progress you application.